Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"What's in a name?"

"That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

And I thought naming my son was hard work.

I never thought naming a blog would be so difficult. And, certainly, I hadn't planned on publishing it until everything was perfect and complete. Not until I had a catchy, clever name that would stand out among the masses and beckon you to come back for more, a background with colors that would portray just the right balance between being thoughtful and funny, and, of course, not until I had found the most adorable picture of my son. But, here I am, writing my first entry and minutes away from clicking "publish post" and my blog is still without a name.

And yet, while creating a name is important, it shouldn't keep me from connecting with people. From connecting with other moms who are also trying to navigate through the ins and outs of diaper rash, breast feeding, baby proofing, and sleep training. From re-connecting with long-distant friends with whom I so desperately have wanted to remain close with. And from connecting and staying in touch with family members who are just delighted to learn that my son has reached another milestone (he can crawl! well, I think what he is doing is actually referred to as "creeping", but it is just as cute and impressive) or tried a new flavor of baby food (blueberries are a new favorite!).

And so, I will move forward, I will publish my imperfect and incomplete blog and hope to make a few friends along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment